Wednesday, March 5, 2014

For the month of March ........

For the rest of March we need to eat down the deep freezers and the pantry.  We have had some unexpected expenses (tires of the car) and the money has to come from somewhere.  The only area to cut is groceries and gas for the cars.  Dh has more of a fixed gas amount as he drives over 100 miles a day round trip for work.  My gas on the other hand is not fixed so I am going to try to stay home more and make more efficient trips when I do go out.

I have only spent $3.73 on groceries so far this month and do not anticipate more than milk and fresh stuff the rest of the month.  I will also try to keep the fresh stuff down too.

In the two deep freezers I have:

1 whole turkey
1 big bag of fish nuggets (Swai)
1 pkg seasoned chicken leg quarters
2 boxes of breakfast sausage
1 tube of breakfast sausage
2 lbs of ground turkey
1 pkg turkey bacon
2 bags of chicken leg quarters
2 pkgs of skinless boneless chicken breasts
1 bag of turkey meatballs
1 pkg of skinless boneless chicken thighs
2 pkg hot dogs
1 bag of cooked chicken

Protein in the pantry:

2 cans tuna
2 cans chicken
lots of home canned pinto and black beans
lots of dried beans

I also have assorted sliced and shredded cheeses.  There are a couple of boxes of pasta but not a lot of sauce.

I am sure I am missing something but it is what I saw when I looked yesterday.  Tonight we are having the seasoned chicken leg quarters with mashed potatoes and broccoli.  Trying to use up fresh items before they go bad.

My temptation will be asparagus as it is on sale for $1.99/lb this week at Kroger.  We love asparagus !!! I will try to keep track of how we are doing on here better this month.

1 comment:

  1. It looks like you should have more than enough protein dishes for the month - best wishes to you!
    I stayed home so much in Feb because of the weather and it made a huge difference in how much gas we used. And I don't normally go much anyway.

    ReplyDelete